A week ago my beautiful bendy friend Ronnie broke the news to me – she lowered down into her first full flat middle split. She attributed her success to Fit & Bendy’s Bendy Body DVD, an active flexibility workout which I suggested to her. But it was just one last piece she was missing in a puzzle she was working on for a long while.
I was quite inspired by her and her success story, inspired to face my currently most inflexible aspect of my body, my own middle splits. I started off with what seems like 90 degrees, and slowly, very slowly didn’t get much better like I did with my front splits, pancake and backbends. I avoided dealing with them, and they weren’t a priority.
I asked Ronnie what routine should I do, and being the bendy goddess and sweetest person that she is, she shared a plan of action with me, one which I decided to take on as a challenge. I’ll no longer avoid my middle splits, I’ll actively put work in them for a month and see how I feel about them.
My plan is to do this 3 times a week. I already did this routine last week, and it seems to take half an hour, which is totally feasible for me.
- Hip warm up – my glute strengthening hip flexor extending butt shaping routine
- Standing leg kick to the side
- Leg kicks while laying on the side
- Propped on the elbow
- Head on arm on the floor
- Prop back onto the elbow, bring knee to shoulder, grab the ankle and extend leg.
- Leg turnout – Standing on all four, extend a leg to the side.
- With toe on the ground, turn it in and out.
- In a turned out position, do leg lifts.
- In the air, turn it in and out.
- Standing/seating pike
- Butterfly pose
- Straddle stretches with feet on blocks
- Bend sideways to each leg.
- Fold towards on each leg.
- Fold forward into a pancake
- Pancake split
- Weighted reclined splits. Put ankle weights on and lay on the ground.
- Slowly open and close the legs
- Add resistance bands on each leg, hold them with the hands, put a block under the butt and resist the bands in pulses.
- Weighted wall splits. With the ankle weight still on, move butt to wall.
- Lay on back
- Prop up onto the elbows
- Prop up on the hands and push chest to wall
- Slowly slide feet down and get to a seated position
- Push chest to wall again
- Descend to middle split using a pole
- Stand face to pole, turn feet out and start sliding them out flexed in stright line.
- Keep crouch close to pole and slide until legs start to go forward into a straddle.
- Stop and point toes and hold.
- Frog and half frog
- Middle split